Monday 19 April 2010

Monday 21st June

Suddenly got nervous about today's bike ride in the Peaks when I found out late Sunday that it was just myself and the Clarkster-meister going. Not that I mind locking horns with the younger, fitter, lighter, faster GB age grouper but hill climbing really is playing to his strengths. I'd considered feigning injury as not to embarrass myself but thought the big hills in Austria wouldn't seem quite so bad after today's climbs. The usual early Lincsquad start had us all togged up and raring to go from Langsett at 08:30. For some bizarre reason the standard 50 mile course wasn't going to be long enough for the two budding Ironmen. An improvised 10 mile loop was stuck onto the start which took in a couple of long ascents before tackling the route for real! It wasn't long before the nightmare hill Holme Moss was in sight. I rather unselfishly let Steve C grab the glory on this one and met him at the top where he was tucking into a picnic, in wait. I thought I'd adopt the same strategy throughout the day and let him have similar such victories up Snakes Pass and Strines Moor(little Switzerland) I didn't want to knock his confidence. The annoying thing was I couldn't lose him on the flat either, every time I gave it big licks he was there on my wheel!!
Seriously, today was the best day of my life!.......... No, sorry it wasn't, that was the birth of my kids and of course my wedding day. What I meant to say was it was a pleasure to ride today despite the punishment. The weather was brilliant and the scenery(the reservoirs) was breathtaking(ok slightly cliched). I'm sure even Austria will be pushed to compete with today's display of English countryside. A point Steve and I made whilst having a 'Shawshank Redemption' moment as we lay waste deep in Langsett reservoir cooling off with an ice bath(minus the ice).
A healthy jacket potato and tuna (without the demon mayo) for me as I watched Clarky gorge himself on a massive plate of chips,several eggs and half a pig of ham, oh and a pint, yes, a pint of coffee!!! Or have I got that mixed up?
Foot note Just to add that the Shawshank Redemption scene to which I refer is where Freeman and Robbins are having a cool beer on the top of the roof feeling momentarily free! Very important that the gang raping scene hasn't been assumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment